Raleigh Fire Museum
History of Histories
|The history of researching, recording, and presenting the history of the Raleigh Fire Department includes:
- 1936 Six-page history written by Works Progress Administration
- 1944 Six-page historical sketch written by
former Fire Chief Sherwood Brockwell and others, published as commemorative booklet at
fire department event.
- 1951 Ladies auxiliary formed. Members create
scrapbooks through the 1960s, including photos and newspaper clippings.
- 1970 City fire protection report published that includes five-page history written by local historian Elizabeth Davis Reid.
- 1970s Newspaper clippings compiled in three-ring
binders by Public Affairs for several years.
- 1984 First commemorative history book (or "yearbook") published,
with detailed history written by department historian Captain B. T. Fowler from sources
including research by Elizabeth Reid
- 1993 - Raleigh City Museum opens in Borden Building at Fletcher
Park. First exhibit is How Fire Changed the Face of Raleigh, created by
Captain Fowler, now retired.
- 2001 First unofficial web pages on history of
fire department created by former firefighter Mike Legeros. Content is
seeded with history text from 1984 and forthcoming 2002 yearbooks.
- 2002 Second yearbook published, with detailed
history that reprints the 1984 history text and adds subsequent sections written
by Captain Brock.
- 2003 "Raleigh and Wake County Firefighting" written by Mike Legeros,
the first of two paperback photo history books published by Arcadia
- 2004 Mike Legeros starts researching official
records at Station 1, and city records at City Clerks office.
- 2006 Elizabeth Reid Murray Collection donated
to Olivia Raney Local History, which includes extensive historical
information about the Raleigh Fire Department.
- 2007 Third yearbook published, with station
histories written by Mike Legeros, reprinted web-based historical essay
by Mike Legeros, and other text.
- 2008 Historical society is organized, led by
Battalion Chief Alan Walters and Mike Legeros, now also the department's
- 2011 - Historical society opens fire museum in modular classroom
building at the training center.
- 2012 - Historical society renamed as Raleigh Fire Museum.
- 2012 - Fourth yearbook published, with text history written and
edited by Mike Legeros, that incorporates and expands the text sections
from the 1984 and 2002 yearbooks, expands the station histories from the
2007 yearbook, and adds additional historical text sections.
About / Contact